« is the left shift operator, and meets the needs of both logical and arithmetic shifts.
Left shift («)
Integers are stored, in memory, as a series of bits. For example, the number 6 stored as a 32-bit int would be:
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000110
Shifting this bit pattern to the left one position (6 « 1) would result in the number 12:
00000000 00000000 00000000 00001100
As you can see, the digits have shifted to the left by one position, and the last digit on the right is filled with a zero. You might also note that shifting left is equivalent to multiplication by powers of 2. So 6 « 1 is equivalent to 6 * 2, and 6 « 3 is equivalent to 6 * 8. A good optimizing compiler will replace multiplications with shifts when possible.
- 03 Feb 2018 Findings with sqlite and different versions of scout python search server
- 22 Dec 2017 Highlight link in side menu on scrolling to the part of the page to which that link belongs
- 22 Dec 2017 How to create sticky left sidebar which sticks on scrolling
- 22 Dec 2017 Adding vertical parallax effect and overlay on banner image
- 22 Dec 2017 Clean way to handle scroll events in emberjs app without blocking task queue and runtime
- 19 Dec 2017 What is the meaning and use of left shift operator
- 19 Dec 2017 Everything you need to learn about mobile first design starting from what is mobile first
- 11 Dec 2017 Emberjs achieve two way binding with native input tag and discard input helper
- 11 Dec 2017 Ember js concatenate all third party js files present under vendor folder to vendor js
- 10 Dec 2017 Stakeholders agree to the requirement and then later on says this does not serve my purpose
- 10 Dec 2017 Sheet comparison of frontend js frameworks
- 11 Nov 2017 Why is it so hard to develop good software
- 04 Sep 2017 Is Graphql here to replace REST Api
- 05 Jun 2017 My awesome list of english songs
- 29 May 2017 Troll software intern
- 17 May 2017 What is icon font and why use it over png.
- 16 May 2017 Philosophical difference between ruby and python.
- 15 May 2017 Given an array, find number of subsets with k elements, where absolute difference between the maximum and mininmum element is at most x
- 15 May 2017 Automated testing of google autocomplete using cucumber and capybara
- 15 May 2017 How to manage assets in rails, difference between app, vendor and lib assets, what is asset pipeline?
- 15 May 2017 Swap elements in dom by drag and drop.
- 15 May 2017 What are the options with which protect_with_forgery is called?
- 15 May 2017 How to add csrf in ember app.
- 15 May 2017 Sessions and csrf in rails.
- 15 May 2017 Best practices while using ooor gem for making rpc calls to odoo(openerp) from ruby framework
- 09 May 2017 Integrate paytm payment with rails app
- 08 May 2017 Automated deployment on github pages using jekyll themes.
- 01 May 2017 How to add inline image in gmail.
- 01 May 2017 Undefined method `user_confirmation_path' error with devise rails.